Thursday 21 November 2013

The kids' studio


Inspired by Project Based Homeschool; Mentoring your Self-Directed Learner, by Lori Pickert. I've been brave. I'm learning to say "yes" to my kids' creative projects. My reason for saying "no" was usually because the materials were packed away in a cupboard. I am mostly doing fifteen things at a time and didn't want to multiply my work. I didn't want to deal with what might happen when five children and new media find each other in a confined space. If I'm going to be a "yes" mum and stay sane, then our set up needed to change. Our dining room is now a studio.

The floor is tiled. It is next to the kitchen, so I am able to work and be near the action. The materials are all visible and reasonably easy for the biggest kids to reach. The floodgates of inspiration can open as we gaze on those jars of paint and brushes and wax and paste and buttons and markers and empty frames. 

The tv cabinet is now storage space. The four biggest kids have a desk each in this room. My old favourite lounge is there for when I want to read aloud, or nurse the baby, while they make. There is a series of boxes ready for collage and crafting. It is an easy way for the kids to sort and put away scraps. Everything is old, reclaimed, or from the charity shop (which is the case for most of our furniture). After using the space for a while we will add in any necessary shelving and hanging/drying/displaying racks. It's a living design project for the kids and us. 

The fun thing has been letting the kids take ownership of their own little studios within the studio. They have chosen what they want on their own desks. The label printer was discovered and most objects have been labelled. This was a good little self initiated exercise in writing for Miss 6. Mr 8 is keen to build a bit of a cage around his desk to keep toddler fingers out. We're still discussing the terms on that one!

It is so much easier to let the kids be creative when the space is committed to it. Once again, time is also the factor. Pulling out paints only works pleasantly when we are not going out soon after. An uncluttered schedule makes space for so many good things.

Unexpectedly, I have found that I am happier with a creative space nearby. It is less predictable, but I get to watch the kids do beautiful things. I'll keep you posted!
 .

7 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy, quite a development in your house. A great way to inspire creativity. Not all could cope with the creative 'chaos' that often occurs with such an approach, but I bet the kids are engaged and excited. It's also great you have the space (and the tiled floor!) to do this. Great the post! I'm enjoying the new blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trevor, Yes, it certainly is a development, on many levels! It is not something I have had the mental/emotional/physical stamina for before, so we're yet to see if I cope with this approach too:). Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. what a beautiful space! i would love to work and play there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous space, ready for anything!
    We're constantly editing our space, to adjust for ages and stages and interests.
    A work in progress, indeed.
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, Thank you. Yes, I am tempted to photograph our space daily to document the adjustments:)

      Delete
  4. Years ago I converted my formal dining room off the kitchen to a dedicated room children's room for desks and crafts etc. I find having desks close to the kitchen works well, as opposed to being in their bedrooms. I plan to continue this set up into the high school years. Next door to this room the formal lounge has been converted into a Library/Music room. The kids desks are always a mess and we need a labeller and more storage however this arrangement works well for us.

    ReplyDelete